Cycle to Work started in 2001 to encourage more people to commute to and from work by bike, enabling people to make healthier choices and reducing the UK’s carbon footprint. Cycle to Work is a government initiative which offers the most cost-effective way to get new cycling equipment. The scheme is run through participating employers, meaning you do not have to pay tax or national insurance on these products – saving you up to 42%! This reduced cost is then simply deducted out of your payslip over 12 or 18 months.
Encouraging colleagues to Cycle to Work is a great way to promote a healthier and happier and more productive workforce as well as being a Green initiative promoting sustainable travel.
Before setting up a Cycle to Work scheme at your workplace it is worth considering things such as:
- Is it safe for colleague to cycle to your workplace? E.g. are there cycle lanes?
- Are there appropriate and safe bicycle storage areas at your workplace?
- Are there adequate shower and changing facilities for staff to cycle to and from work?
The process for a Cycle to Work scheme would follow is below:
- Workplace sign up to a Cycle to Work scheme (there are many – details below). It should be free for your workplace to sign up
- Once signed up promote the scheme to your employees
- Employees visit their local participating bike shop or look online
- Employee selects bike and cycling equipment and applies for voucher
- Employee buys bike and cycling equipment using voucher and starts their repayments. After 12 months the employer will have recovered their costs and generated up to 13.8% in savings. The employee will be given their ownership options.